GEORGE TOWN: The decision to scrap the Ujian Pencapaian Sekolah Rendah (UPSR) examination was made after deep and detailed scrutiny that included engagement with all stakeholders, says Datuk Dr Mohd Radzi Md Jidin (pic).
The Education Minister said they had travelled from state to state to discuss and listen to the views and suggestions from teachers, pupils and parents.
“In total, the sessions involved almost 2,000 stakeholders comprising Year Six teachers, principals, and representatives of parent-teacher associations.
“They gave us enough valuable input. We also went to schools to meet and hear out Year Six pupils on what they had to say about the exams.
“This was the biggest and most comprehensive discussion ever held by the ministry. We listened to the views from various parties, ” he said in a statement posted on Facebook yesterday.
His statement came after parents and students expressed mixed feelings over the decision to abolish the UPSR exams.
Mohd Radzi said the ministry had begun studying and scrutinising the implementation of the UPSR holistically after it was cancelled last year because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
“This included taking into account the best practices of primary school assessment systems in various countries such as Finland, Norway, New Zealand and Scotland.
“We also held numerous discussions to find the best approach in assessing pupil development as a whole.
“We want to ensure that pupils are given space and opportunities to optimise their potential.
“Taking into account the views of various parties, we are very confident that the decision is not only the best for us but for the next generation.
“Every decision is made objectively and rests on a solid foundation with in-depth analysis, ” he added.
On Wednesday, Mohd Radzi announced that the UPSR would be abolished from this year onwards.
He said Year Six pupils would be evaluated using school-based assessment, a system which had been in effect since 2011.